Counter

Monday, August 9, 2010

Electing chocolate preferences!


So how do you vote? If I do this will my vote count? What will make my vote informal and hence not count? Is any vote wasted? These and many other questions were answered on Saturday at the Trades Council when I went along with an eclectic group of prospective voters wanting to make sure that the right party gets in at the next election.

Whatever your party predilection, it is important that you realise how easily your vote could be put to one side and not counted (informal).

Remember:
1)On your federal ticket, number every box in your order of choice. Do not give any candidate the same number as another. No ties!
2)Because of the inordinate amount of candidates for the six senate seats (84)it will be very easy to make a mistake and again your vote will not count. To act as a safety net, place your number 1 in the box of the party of your choice above the line. This will only be used if you make a mistake in your below the line choices.
3)Voting for a minor party does not waste your vote. If that candidate is your first choice, then vote for them. If they receive the least amount of votes and there is no clear majority winner your vote will go to your next preference.
4) Do not waste your vote - be informed!

I am happy to say that I learnt all this whilst voting for my favourite chocolate, smarties, who I am sorry to say was outvoted by snickers with cherry ripe a close second.

I was happy to earn a chocolate by just voting but I can assure you that if you don't vote and the wrong party gets in...you might not feel like eating chocolate.

So will we re-elect the first woman prime minister or the inveterate budgie smuggler? Will the Greens have their biggest win yet boosted by consumer dissatisfaction with the 'two party' faction?

No comments:

Post a Comment