Counter

Friday, May 14, 2010

Reflections on being a mother

I am a little late, it being nearly a week since the much celebrated Mother's Day. But it is a time when we reflect on what it means to be a mother. Memories rueful, memories laughable, memories poignant and memories ridiculous.
So what do I most remember?
Looking at two little heads covered hopefully with Father Christmas hats fast asleep on their pillows and wishing I had a partner to say, "Come and look, aren't they adorable!"
Peeling onions in the kitchen with my eldest crying tears of laughter as we looked at each other in swimming goggles trying to avoid the tears!
Locking the doors to foil the determined exit of my youngest who complete with pyjamas in her backpack was running away to spend the night on Lewesdon Hill.
So happy to find other parents who actually liked swimming and felt it natural to spend hours in chlorine laced pools watching slim figures slice their way through to the next PB (that stands for personal best, something I did learn).
Reaching the sun gate gazing down at Machu Picchu holding one daughter faint and weak with Montezuma's revenge and smiling at the other with the sheer achievement of it all.
The despair when you are far away and not able to surround them with loving arms and kiss it all better.
The homemade cards and the sentiments within - unconditional love indeed. How you have made my life worthwhile. To my darling daughters, I love you both.

No comments:

Post a Comment